2.13.2011

On marriage

I posted on facebook, "given the status of divorce and separation rates, do I want to get married?" without thinking how this would affect my best friend...who is getting married at the end of the year and who got me as one of her Maid of Honor. I felt bad after realizing what effect it might have on her and good thing she had the maturity and the security that the post did not come as a threat to her.

Sorry for being to selfish.

But we did get to talk about it. We talked about the issue of desperation, of time, of biological clock and of faith that the person you decided to be with is really the person God has given you to be with for the rest of your life.

FAITH.

People say I just have to believe that it works and that statistics are just statistics. But my opinion on marriage do not come from statistics alone. This came about from my own experiences, from the experiences of my friends, from the people I meet and date. The idea did not happen overnight. It came from years of thinking.

Sure, marriage is such a wonderful idea. To think that marriage does work gives you comfort that no matter what happens in your life there is one person out there for you, who would love you unconditionally apart from Jesus Christ and probably your parents.

Ideals doesn't happen most of the time in real life. People get married for the reasons that they are desperate, that time is against them, because they are pregnant, because there's no one else, for companionship....for love.

It is great if they get married out of love because somehow you'd know it's going to last but you hear cases that even if they were so in love in the beginning, they would still drift apart. There are marriages that lasted even if they got married for the not so ideal reasons. I guess it's the uncertainty that scares me. How would you know it's going to last? How would you know your partner would be faithful to you for life? How would you know that despite the differences, your partner will always be there for you? How can you secure happiness?


Making sense of it all.

As of the moment, it just doesn't make sense to me. What's with the piece of paper? If someone would be able to explain it to me logically...to make it more sensible, only then would I probably consider it.

The idea is just so good, but the practical application is well questionable.

No comments: