11.18.2011

25th for the 8th year

Birthday log.

It's a good thing to note that this year I am not sick...physically and emotionally. Although I was alone, I'm in a good place when I celebrated my birthday.

I have planned to go to Thailand since early this year with a friend who is also going to celebrate his birthday in November (we're just a few days apart) but since he doesn't want to wade on the flood water in Bangkok, I went alone...to Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai was one of the most awesome places to see. Well maybe it was awesome for me when I went there because it was Loi Krathong Festival (Yee Peng festival for Chinese, floating and/or flying of the lanterns as offering to the water goddess for bringing them water).

The day of my birthday was the last day of the festival. They had a grand parade which was participated by the government agencies, universities, and private companies (mostly by famous tourist places such as night safari and Chiang Mai zoo).

I think there were thousands of lanterns that flew that night. There were panda shaped lanterns and heart shaped lanterns. Of course, most of the lanterns you see there are the regular rectangular ones of different sizes. You would see people writing their wishes on their lanterns, hoping that the gods or goddesses would read them when they float it towards the sky. Some were just sort of praying with their eyes closed while holding the lit lantern.



I've floated one and I did make a wish :) It went up high in the sky. I just hope it would come true soon. If it didn't it's a fun experience anyway.



The lanterns looked like fireflies in the sky. It's just so beautiful. Some lanterns would fly up really high, some lanterns would get stuck on a tree or would get entangled in an electrical wire (which is scary because it might create fire, but it never happened).

Fireworks are everywhere. People were all having fun...it's just like New Year's eve here in the Philippines but much safer.

A great way to celebrate my birthday!

Plus, I've made new friends :D

No comments: